Alan Dennis Kulwicki Travis Wade Kvapil Robert Allen Labonte Terrence Lee Labonte Randy Joseph Lajoie
Saturday, June 1, 2013
Strategic Call Brings Down Victory
Mercedes: Williams deal a win-win
Ryan Joseph Newman Kyle Eugene Petty Floyd Anthony Raines Scott Russell Riggs Hiroshi Fushida
Motorsports: Porsche taking classic 911 on tour of Europe's best tracks [w/video]
Filed under: Motorsports, Classics, Coupe, Europe, Videos, Porsche, UK, Racing

How cool would it be if instead of calling it your "birthday" you called it your "anniversary" and spent an entire year celebrating it? Porsche has kept the lights on and the music going for its 50th anniversary this year, and the latest huzzah is called Project 50, which will see a 1965 Porsche 911 short wheelbase racecar run in The Masters Series of vintage racing.
Not just a parade lap around some vintage circuits, The Master Series is FIA-sanctioned and has five competitive classes. The 911 entered the picture at Round Two, held last weekend at Brands Hatch, and will make five more appearances this year at the Goodwood Festival of Speed, Silverstone Classic, Nürburgring Oldtimer Grand Prix, Spa 6-Hour at Spa Francorchamps and the Jerez Masters festival.
There's a video below announcing the event, and the promise of more to come.
Continue reading Porsche taking classic 911 on tour of Europe's best tracks [w/video]
Porsche taking classic 911 on tour of Europe's best tracks [w/video] originally appeared on Autoblog on Sat, 01 Jun 2013 09:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.
Permalink | Email this | CommentsCarl Michael Edwards III William Clyde Elliott Jeffrey Michael Gordon Charles Robert Hamilton IV Charles Robert Hamilton V
Raikkonen moves on from Perez spat
Matthew Roy Kenseth Alan Dennis Kulwicki Travis Wade Kvapil Robert Allen Labonte Terrence Lee Labonte
Report: Michigan study says motorcycle injuries worsen with weaker helmet laws
Filed under: Safety, Motorcycle

Not surprised? Neither are we.
According to The Detroit News, an insurance industry study found that the average medical claim resulting from a motorcycle crash rose by more than one-fifth in Michigan last year, following the state's decision to no longer require most riders to wear helmets. For 40 years, the Mitten State required all motorcycle riders to wear helmets, but now only mandates this for people under the age of 21.
"The cost per injury claim is significantly higher after the law changed than before, which is consistent with other research that shows riding without a helmet leads to more head injuries," David Zuby, chief research officer for the Highway Loss Data Institute, told The Detroit News. When the institute's study was adjusted for the age/type of motorcycle, age of rider, gender, martial status, weather and other factors, the rate increase was found to be 22 percent, compared relatively to four surrounding states (Illinois, Indiana, Ohio and Wisconsin).
Of course, there's always the other side of the story, which is that even if a state's legislation does not require a rider to wear a helmet, that doesn't mean people automatically dismiss the fact that this is a key safety factor. "No one is forcing anyone to ride without a helmet," Jeff Hennie, vice president of the Motorcycle Riders Foundation, told the News.
Michigan study says motorcycle injuries worsen with weaker helmet laws originally appeared on Autoblog on Fri, 31 May 2013 08:28:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.
Permalink | Email this | CommentsRandy Joseph Lajoie Kevin Paul Lepage William Ashton Lewis Jr Sterling Burton Marlin Mark Anthony Martin